Let’s assume that the new intelligent retail shop knows automatically what is the customer size (height and dimensions), gender, age and that may have an initial estimation of his or her preferences according to that way he or she wears clothes. Add to all this information the fact that the system is aware all the time which products are being picked up by this person.
With a virtual fitting room: The consumer could go light years faster in the decision process, speeding up the sales process.
It is a common problem, in this scenario, the stock availability of a specific piece of clothing that we might like to purchase. If the intelligent shop is able to tell us instantaneously which clothes are available according to our size, and at the same time offers us a set of related pieces that can perfectly match with the one that we picked up, not only the sales process would speed up but also there is a high probability that we (as consumers) pick more that one item following the presented suggestions.
In this case the intelligent shop will take into account the following items by using virtual fitting room:
- Automatic clothes fitting estimation
- Intelligent screen interaction with the user
- Interaction with the existing stock
- System visual suggestions on combining clothes
- Demographic features for advanced interactions » Gender
- Age groups
- Life style clothing wear
|Given a high definition (HD) screen, the customer can see his/her image reflected on it in a mirror-like way. Moreover, he/she will be able to try clothes virtually on, overlaying clothing pieces on the real images of his/her body.
The installation would be located in place near the changing rooms. The purpose is to provide all the necessary decision elements so the user can make the selection of the specific items that would be ordered to the attendant.
The concept of magic mirror combines computer vision and augmented reality techniques.
Three key factors are the constituting elements of the magic mirror idea:
Augmented Reality : It is a term for a live direct or indirect view of a physical real-world environment whose elements are augmented by virtual computer-generated sensory input such as sound or graphics. It is related to a more general concept called mediated reality in which a view of reality is modified (possibly even diminished rather than augmented) by a computer. As a result, the technology functions by enhancing one’s current perception of reality.
Interaction: The user can establish a communication channel with the display in order to submit queries. Specific applications can be: catalogue browsing based on gesture recognition, clothes selection and ordering, etc.
Audience Measurement: The system can measure in a non-intrusive way the user’s dimensions (size, height, etc) in order to offer those pieces of clothing that area available in stock according to his/her needs.
- Not having to get in and out of a real changing room each time he or she wants to check whether a garment will fit combined with another according to his/her tastes.
- He/she can navigate quickly between the products of a certain profile.
- He/she can get real-time stock if his/her size is available in stock.
- He/she can order the selected items in bulk to store personnel and then bring them to try them on in the real changing room.
- Attracting more clients to the store.
- Accelerating the sale cycle: Magic Mirror offers an efficient tool for assisting the customer in his/her decisions; suggesting combinations of clothes and accelerating the look-and-buy process.
- Enhancing the user’s experience and proactive sales: The stock availability of a specific model and size can be a problem in the retail clothing sector. A system that is capable of determining the availability in real time, will be able to offer and promote related clothes according to the historical choices of the user.
- Time and personnel costs saving: The salesclerk saves time going back to the store in order to verify if a specific model and size is available. Therefore, the same employee can attend more clients in a more efficient way.
- Improve brand perception in the market with respect to competition offering high level technology services.
Sources : http://www.retail-intelligence.net/